PUNJAB: ACCOLADES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
India Today’s 'State of the States Survey' has ranked Punjab as the Best State for 4 consecutive years (2007-2010) in the following indices:
- Consumer Markets
Punjab Declared No. 1 State In The Country
Punjab bagged top position in the country as it was declared No. 1 State in the Transition Economies in the 'State Competitiveness Awards, 2012' organized by 'Institute for Competitiveness, India & Mint.'
Adjudged Best Destination for doing business in India as per
World Bank Study, 2009
Adjudged Best State for Infrastructure in 2012 by News Channel IBN 7
Biggest Ever Investment in the State
INVESTMENT IN SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH REFINERY
||` in Cr.
||Investment in the Refinery
||Downstream Industry Investment
||Ancillary Units Investment
||Direct & Indirect Employment in the refinery
||Downstream Employment in downstream industry
||Indirect Employment in ancillary units
Investment Opportunity for Downstream Industry: Polypropylene, LPG & Sulphur
Power - Moving Towards Self Sufficiency
INVESTMENT IN POWER SECTOR
Present Government committed to make Punjab Self Sufficient by 2014
|Total capacity in 2012
|Power Plant under Construction
||` 55620 Cr.
Projects already under construction & MOUs signed
|Talwandi Sabo, Mansa
to be commissioned by 2014
to be commissioned by 2014
||L & T
|Goindwal Sahib, Tarantaran
to be commissioned by 2014
to be commissioned by 2015
||Peona Power Ltd.
|State Sector, Hajipur
|Non Conventional Sources of energy
TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION OF POWER
Improving the Transmission & Distribution system with an investment of more than 7000 Cr.
New Grid Sub-Stations Constructed & Augmented - 596
- 400 KV Grid Sub-stations at Muktsar, Makhu, Nakodar and Dhuri.
- 400 KV Rajpura Grid Sub-Station and associated 400 KV Transmission Lines.
- 19 No. 220/66 KV Transformers of 100/160 MVA to be commissioned during the current year.
- v220 KV Transmission Lines for 500 circuit kilometers.
Customer Centric Initiatives
- Consumer Grievance Redressal Centres setup at Patiala, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Bathinda & Jalandhar.
- People Friendly Call Centres setup at Ludhiana connected to other cities.
- Customer Care centres at Mohali, Bathinda, Amritsar, Jalandhar & Ludhiana
Providing World Class Infrastructure
TRANSFORMING ROAD NETWORK
Major Towns and Cities to be connected by 6 and 4 lane roads.
|6 Laning of Shambhu (Ambala)-Jalandhar Expressway
||` 1,500 Cr.
Four Laning Completed
|Zirakpur - Ambala
||` 298 Cr.
|Kurali - Kiratpur Sahib
||` 309 Cr.
|Amritsar - Wagha road
||` 205 Cr.
|Dhilwan - Amritsar
||` 263 Cr.
|Ludhiana - Malerkotla
||` 225 Cr
|Mukerian - Pathankot
||` 300 Cr
Four Laning Projects Under Construction
|Jalandhar - Pathankot Expressway
||` 600 Cr.
|Amritsar - Pathankot Expressway
||` 800 Cr.
|Sidhwan Canal Expressway Ludhiana
||` 416 Cr.
|Ludhiana - Talwandi Road
||` 500 Cr.
|Zirakpur - Patiala - Bathinda Road
||` 2500 Cr.
STRENGTHENING THE ROAD NETWORK
Four Laning Projects Underway
|Chandigarh - Ludhiana Road
|Asmritsar - Bathinda - Sri Ganga Nagar
||` 2200 Cr.
|Jalander - Moga Road
||` 2400 Cr.
|Jalander - Dhilwan
||` 200 Cr.
Upgradation, New & Repair of Link Roads
|4,384 km Major Roads upgraded & strengthened
|6,971 km New Link Roads constructed
||` 978 Cr.
|1500 km repair in Progress
||` 137 Cr.
|17750 km Link Roads repaired
||` 1856 Cr.
|991 km New Link Road in progress
||` 160 Cr.
ROBs & RUBs HIGH LEVEL BRIDGES
Railway Over Bridges (ROBs)
|ROBs completed- 28
||` 485 Cr.
|ROBs construction ongoing 10
||` 150 Cr.
|New ROBs proposed - 12
||` 290 Cr.
High Level Bridges
|Sarai ka Pattan (Sri Anandpur Sahib) on river Sutlej
||` 50 Cr.
|Gidderpindi - Makhu Road (Ferozepur Kapurthala Distt.) on river Sutlej
||` 50 Cr.
Proposed High Level Bridges
|Sabhraon connecting (Ferozepur & Tarantaran Distt.) on river Sutlej.
||` 100 Cr.
|Ludhiana - Rahon Road at Mattewara on river Sutlej
||` 50 Cr.
|Dhanoa Pattan in Gurdaspur on river Beas
||` 50 Cr.
|Bridge on Chhaki river
|High level bridge over Beas at Dhanoa - Pattan
||` 50 Cr.
REVENUE INCREASE IN VAT, CST & EXCI
Quantum Increase in Revenue Collection
- Total Computerization of VAT and Excise Administration soon
- VAT & CST collection from April, 2007 to March 2012 is 44203 Cr. (121% increase).
- Excise collection during April, 2007 to March, 2012 is 10825 cr. (47% increase)
- Debt to GSDP ratio decreased to 31.5% from 43% in 2012
- Average growth rate during 11th five year plan was 7.86%
- Establishment of Information Collection Centres at Madhopur, Mullanpur and Harsamansar
- VAT Refund process simplified
- E-ICC process started to facilitate online permit for transporters
- E-Filing, E-Payment, E-Pass and E-Billing started to facilitate trade and industry
Ushering in Governance Reforms
Right to Service Act 2011 Implemented Covering 69 Services & 41 More Services being added
Department of Revenue
- CAll Revenue records to be computerized
- C155 Farad Kendras have been set up, 8 more in process
Department of Police
123 Police Saanjh Kenderas set up - Community Policing Suwidha Centres at Sub Divisional & Thana level established to provide services like:
- Passport verification
- Arm licenses verification
- Police clearance certificates
- Permission for various functions etc
6 NRI Police Stations and Cyber Police Stations established
Another NRI Police Station at Amritsar soon
Department of Health
- Ambulance & Paramedic Care with fleet of more than 240 Hi-Tech Ambulances
- For efficient Emergency Medical Response System, a network of Ambulances and a Central Control facility made functional
- Rules and Process related to registration of births and deaths simplified
- ASHA Workers as notifier and ANM as Local Registrar for registration of births and deaths giving big relief to the citizens due to easy access
TRANSFORMING THE STATE
Department of Local Government
Entire Functioning of the Secretariat computerize under the e-sarkar initiative
- Municipal Services made available online
- 360 Citizen facilitation centres being opened
Other Major Key Reforms
- Affidavits abolished
- Industry Portal for online filing of applications with Helpline
- e-Filing of VAT returns
- e-Tendering in 7 Departments implemented and others being covered under phased manner.
- Online Payment of Electricity bills
- 3037 E-Gram Centres in all Panchayats circles for effective monitoring of schemes
Education For Everyone
EDUCATION A THRUST AREA OF THE GOVT.
Punjab adjudged third in Educational Development Index in the country
Upgradation & New schools
- New Primary Schools 231
- Primary Schools Upgraded Middle Schools to 835
- Middle Schools Upgraded High Schools to 93
- 23 Adarsh Schools started - ` 49.03 Cr.
- 21 Models Schools started - ` 63 Cr.
- 351 Govt. Schools Infrastructure upgraded ` 141 Cr.
- 55,197 Teachers recruited to fill up all vacancies
- 36 Teachers honoured with State Award and 5 Teachers with National Awards
55,197 Teachers recruited to fill up all vacancies
Providing Professional Education
WORLD CLASS EDUCATION FOR ALL
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Roopnagar
- Central University at Bathinda
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University, Fatehgarh Sahib
- Chitkara University, Rajpura
- Chandigarh University
- Adesh University
- Guru Ravidas Ayurvedic University
Knowledge City – Mohali
- Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER ) Work in progress
- Indian School of Business (ISB)
- Indian Institute of Nano Science Technology (IINST)
- National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI )
17 New Degree Colleges under construction - 136 Cr.
TECHNICAL EDUCATION GETS A PUSH
- Punjab Institute of Textile Technology and Research at Ludhiana
- Punjab Institute of Food Technology and Research at Barnala
- Punjab Institute of Technology is to be setup in Mansa
- IIIT at Kapurthala
- SSB Regional Centre at Ropar
- 11 Multidisciplinary Academies established ` 182 Cr.
(10+2, Polytechnic, Engg. College & MBA)
- 7 New Polytechnics established ` 86 Cr.
- 250 Skill Development Centres being constructed in PPP mode
Reviving Pristine Glory of Sports
Revolutionary steps taken for Promotion of Sports
- Three World Cup Kabbadi Tournaments organised in 2010, 2011 & 2012, Prize money of` 6.29 crore distributed in 3rd World Cup Kabaddi Tournament
- Punjab 4 Nation Gold Cup Hockey Tournament organised
- Saheed-e-Azam Punjab State Games organised
- Record Cash prizes to Medal winners in Olympics, Asian Games and Common Wealth Games. -` 9.81 Cr.
- 1 Cr. for World Cup Cricket team members from Punjab
- 13 Stadiums being renovated - 100 cr.
- 5 New Astroturfs being laid - 142 cr.
- Sports School at Village Ghudda (Distt. Bathinda) - ` 50 Cr.
- 5,000 Gyms established, 9000 Sports Kits distributed -
` 22 Cr.
- International Sports Hostel at Jalandhar - ` 2 Cr.
World Class Academies and Sports Training Schools
- Punjab Institute of Sports setup at Ghudha (Bathinda)
- Sports Schools at Jalandhar & Amritsar
- Olympian Surjit Singh Hockey Academy, Jalandhar
- Football Academy, Mahilpur (Hoshiarpur) started
- Shooting & Hockey Academy for Girls, Badal, Muktsar started
- Dashmesh Martial Arts & Sports Academy, Sri Anandpur Sahib.
Improving Transportation Infrastructure
MODERNISING TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE
- World Class AC Bus Stand coming up at Mohali - 350 Cr.
- All major towns in Punjab are being linked through
- Ordinary AC
- Luxury AC
- Super-luxury AC buses
- AC Bus stands introduced in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar. New Bus stands at Bathinda, Patiala, Ropar & S.A.S. Nagar.
- City Bus Service introduced in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Bathinda and being introduced in Amritsar
- Radio-Cabs introduced in S.A.S. Nagar, Ludhiana, Amritsar and Jalandhar
- Maxi Cabs facility introduced in Ludhiana, Amritsar and Jalandhar
- Radio Auto (Tuk-Tuk) to be introduced in Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Bathinda & S.A.S. Nagar
- 1709 New Buses added to upgrade the existing Fleet of Punjab Roadways & Pepsu Road Transport Corp.
- Introduction of State Institute of Automotive and Driving Skills at Mahoana.
Striving for a Healthy Punjab
MODERN HEALTH CARE FACILITIES FOR ALL
- Super Speciality Max Hospital at Bathinda - 100 Cr.
- Super Speciality Max Hospital at S.A.S. Nagar - 100 Cr.
- Major Upgradation of Health Infrastructure - 348 Cr.
- Upgradation of 3 and construction of 1 District Hospital (100 beds)
- Upgradation of 3 and construction of 5 Sub-Divisional Hospital (50 beds)
- 30 Small Hospitals (30 beds)
- Repair of Health Institution and PHCs along with equipment
MODERN HEALTH CARE FACILITIES FOR ALL
Upgradation of Medical Colleges & Hospitals
- Guru Ram Das Medical College Amritsar
- Rajindra Medical College Patiala
- Baba Farid Medical College Faridkot
- Dental Colleges
- Guru Ravidas University
- Total Investment - 423 Cr.
- Cancer Diagnostic & Treatment Centre at Faridkot - 20 Cr.
- Cancer Diagnostic & Treatment Centre at Bathinda - 60 Cr.
- Ayurvedic wings set up in 14 hospitals for the first time
240 Emergency Medical Service Vans launched
Providing Potable Water to all
URBAN WATER SUPPLY & SANITATION
- Providing Water Supply and Sewerage and STPs - 5384 Cr.
- Total amount spent - 1495 Cr.
- Work of Water Supply Lines completed in 25 towns
- Work of Swewerage completed in 12 towns
- Current Status
- Works in progress - 3889 Cr.
- Water Supply Works in 114 towns 588 Cr.
- Sewerage and STP Works in towns 3301 Cr.
RURAL WATER SUPPLY & SANITATION
All Villages and Dhanies provided with clean potable water
- 6983 Villages and Dhanies provided with upgradation & new Water works - 1608.44 Cr.
- Remaining 3233 Villages and Dhanies to be provided with new Water works by Dec. 2013 - 900 Cr.
- RO System provided in 1611 Villages - 205.52 Cr.
All schools provided with drinking water and toilet facilities Construction of IHHLs through NABARD for BPL families under TSC
Making Punjab Cities World Class
ENTERPRISING URBAN DEVELOPMENT
Grants issued to Urban Local Bodies - 6,169.60 Cr.
Master Planing of Cities/Towns for Planned Development
- 32 Master Plans for Major Towns notified/approved
- 31 Master Plan for Major Town under preparation
- 6 Development Authorities created and area extended to cover the entire state
- 9 Master Plans for Major Town at draft stage
Connecting Punjab to the World
CIVIL AVIATION - SKY IS THE LIMIT
- International Airport at Mohali International flights to start this year.
- Sri Guru Ram Dass Ji International Airport, Amritsar
- Greenfield International Airport near Ludhiana
- Upgradation of Civil Airport (Sahnewal) Ludhiana
- Runway expanded for big boiengs.
- Domestic operations including night landing facilities completed.
- Airlines have already begun commercial flights.
- Domestic Airport at Bathinda.
Thriving Business Opportunities
BIG BOOST TO INDUSTRIAL SECTOR
- Integrated Check Post for smooth trade between India and Pakistan established at Attari Border
- Industrial Policy, 2009 implemented
- Mega Projects Sanctioned 95
- Proposed Investment - 51,629 Cr.
- Hand Tool industry approved at Batala & Kapurthala - 79 Cr.
- Development Boards for Small, Medium and Large Industries set up by the Government.
- Traders Board constituted of Industrialists/Traders to frame policy for the growth of industries.
Making Agriculture Progressive
IN THE SERVICE OF FARMERS
- Free power supply for agriculture tubewells per year -
` 4,787 Cr.
- Productivity bonus released - ` 117 Cr.
- Bonus to compensate farmers for drought situation like in Kharif 2009 -
` 300 Cr.
- Compensation for loss due to natural calamity enhanced from -
` 2000 to ` 5800 per acre
- 1404 Agriculture Machinery Service Centers sanctioned with the capital subsidy of 33%
- 1328 Agriculture Machinery Service Centers already operational
- 340 Under Ground Pipelines system projects for assured irrigation with 33% subsidy
Promotion of cultivation of horticulture and vegetables crops
- Five Citrus Estates set up at Hoshiarpur, Bhunga, Badal, Tahliwala Jattan and Abohar
- 10 new Pack - Houses are being set up to facilitate marketing infrastructure for Fruits and Vegetables
- 750 Net-Houses set-up for cultivation of Vegetables
- Perishable Cargo Center at Amritsar International Airport
- Litchi Estate at Pathankot and Pear Estate at Amritsar
Animal Husbandry & Dairy Development
- 25 Livestock Melas organised with prize money of
- 2 Regional Research and Training Centers for livestock set-up at Talwara and Kaal Jharani.
- 9 new Veterinary Polyclinics set up 19 new buildings for Veterinary Hospitals completed
- 10335 Modern Dairies established
- Khalsa Veterinary College Amritsar started, 4 more colleges sanctioned
- 200 Integrated Buffalo Development Centres established
- 3 KVK for Livestock established at Booh (Distt. Tarntarn), Handiaya (Distt. Barnala) and Ajitgarh
Rejuvenation of Canal Network
IRRIGATION NETWORK REVOLUTIONIZED
- Major up-gradation of canal network in the state -
` 4128 Cr.
- Shahpur Kandi Dam declared as National Project -
` 2285 Cr.
- Relining of Sirhind Feeder and Rajashthan Feeder -
` 1565 Cr.
- Kandi canal project Stage II under construction -
` 540 Cr.
- Lining of water courses (Khalas) project - ` 600 Cr.
- Canalisation of river Ghaggar and remodeling of cross drainage work -
` 272 Cr.
- Cleaning of drains and canals - ` 179 Cr.
- Anti water logging project - ` 961 Cr.
- Lining of canals being fed from river Satluj -
` 734 Cr.
- Tubewells installed in Kandi area for irrigation -
` 138 Cr.
Helping the Poor and Needy
COMMITMENT TOWARDS SOCIAL SECTOR
- Atta Dal Scheme for Poor -
` 1213 Cr.
- Beneficiaries of the scheme - 15.41 Lac
- Shagun Scheme for marriage of SC Girls -
` 317.25 Cr.
- Beneficiaries of the scheme - 2.11 Lac
- Pension Scheme for Old Age, Widows & Handicapped -
` 1679 Cr.
- Beneficiaries of the scheme - 18.52 Lac
Other Welfare Schemes
- Rural Latrines - 455 Cr.
- Housing for poor - 13.80 Cr.
- Providing single bulb connection to 4 lac BPL families
- 100 Units of free electricity to SC families
- Free Books for SC students from 1st to 10th Standard - 70.22 Cr.
Preserving Cultural Heritage
PRESERVING CULTURAL HERITAGE
- Virasat-e-Khalsa Heritage Complex at Sri Anandpur Sahib
- Chhapparchiri Memorial at SAS Nagar
- Wada Ghallughara (Kup Rohira) Sangrur
- Chhota Ghallughara (Chak Abdalwar) Gurdaspur
PRESERVING CULTURAL HERITAGE
Developing Holy Cities
- Plaza at Sri Harimandir Sahib - 90 Cr.
- Connectivity and Beautification at Sri Ram Tirath Temple associated with Bhagwan Valmiki Ji
- Bhagwan Parashuram Taposthali, Vill. Khatti S.B.S. Nagar
- Sri Anandpur Sahib - 100 Cr.
- Talwandi Sabo - 80 Cr.
- Sri Muktsar Sahib, Dera Baba Nanak, Sri Chamkaur Sahib, Sultanpur Lodhi, Taran Taran, Sri Hargobindpur, Baba Bakala, Sri Khadur Sahib, Sri Goindwal Sahib, Chola Sahib, Sri Sat Kartarpur Sahib.
- World class memorial of Guru Ravi Dass Ji at Khuralgarh
- Ropeway from Sri Anandpur Sahib to Naina Devi Mandir
Providing Employment to Youth
||No. of Recruitments
|Health & Medical Education
|Irrigation, Cooperation Mandi Board & Punjab Agro
|Food & Civil Supplies
Employment Provided by Punjab Government
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Perparatory Institute for Military training at Mohali
- Punjab Police Security Training Institute at Jahan khelan
- Naval Academy at Rupnagar
For More Information: